[c-nsp] WS-C2970G-24TS as access switches

Nikolay Shopik shopik at inblock.ru
Thu Dec 29 02:36:21 EST 2011

On 28/12/11 23:02, Mike wrote:
> On 12/28/2011 05:16 AM, Nikolay Shopik wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> Right now looking for "new" access switches, with 24 copper 1gig ports +
>> 4 SFP ports. We don't really need any fancy features, and from datasheet
>> I can tell WS-C2970G-24TS, fits us very well.
>>
>> I know this is EOL already and replaced with WS-C2960G-24TC-L, which
>> recently replaced with WS-C2960S-24TS-L, but I don't see reason spend
>> more money for features we won't use.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me if WS-C2970G-24TS practically bad and should be
>> avoided at any cost?
>>

> I was using these for exactly the same reasons stated above. This year,
> I have had three seperate instances where the switch had to lose power
> (move, re-work pwr arrangements, etc), and all three times the PSU
> apparently gave up the ghost and refused to power back up. Nothing
> 'happened' funny power wise, not zapped or otherwise mistreated in any
> way. I think these units were of a vintage vulnerable to the bad
> chineese capacitor problem and I think whatever cap in the psu just went
> fizzle while it was operating, which would let the units continue
> running but once it lost power, would prevent a successful full power on
> start up.
>
> I was able to find and deploy the rps-675 (redundant power) after being
> burned this way three times, and it came in damm handy because there was
> a 4th event (another burned up 2970 psu) and this time the 675 kept it
> running till I was able to have an orderly replacement and maintinence
> window (with a 3560). I would reccomend deploying the rps units if you
> are going to use any cisco products with single power supply, but
> especially if you're going to be using the 2970's which have proven (in
> my shop) to be a (literally) dying breed.

Thanks Mike,

Well adding RPS, will add cost to final price. I plan to install these
on low-density POP-sites where only 1 switch need, thus one RPS per
switch. This is basically price of WS-C2960G-24TC-L or WS-C2960S-24TS-L
new. So I need to think about before order these, thanks for sharing.

We already tried several vendors(low-cost) for access switches to fill
gap, but not really happy with them.