[c-nsp] WS-C2970G-24TS as access switches

Mike mike-cisconsplist at tiedyenetworks.com
Wed Dec 28 14:02:26 EST 2011

On 12/28/2011 05:16 AM, Nikolay Shopik wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> Right now looking for "new" access switches, with 24 copper 1gig ports +
> 4 SFP ports. We don't really need any fancy features, and from datasheet
> I can tell WS-C2970G-24TS, fits us very well.
>
> I know this is EOL already and replaced with WS-C2960G-24TC-L, which
> recently replaced with WS-C2960S-24TS-L, but I don't see reason spend
> more money for features we won't use.
>
> Can anyone tell me if WS-C2970G-24TS practically bad and should be
> avoided at any cost?

I was using these for exactly the same reasons stated above. This year,
I have had three seperate instances where the switch had to lose power
(move, re-work pwr arrangements, etc), and all three times the PSU
apparently gave up the ghost and refused to power back up. Nothing
'happened' funny power wise, not zapped or otherwise mistreated in any
way. I think these units were of a vintage vulnerable to the bad
chineese capacitor problem and I think whatever cap in the psu just went
fizzle while it was operating, which would let the units continue
running but once it lost power, would prevent a successful full power on
start up.

I was able to find and deploy the rps-675 (redundant power) after being
burned this way three times, and it came in damm handy because there was
a 4th event (another burned up 2970 psu) and this time the 675 kept it
running till I was able to have an orderly replacement and maintinence
window (with a 3560). I would reccomend deploying the rps units if you
are going to use any cisco products with single power supply, but
especially if you're going to be using the 2970's which have proven (in
my shop) to be a (literally) dying breed.

Mike-