[c-nsp] Deploying MSTP

Jon Harald Bøvre ccie at bovre.no
Thu Dec 29 05:45:07 EST 2011

During your transition, or possibly for a long time dependent on where
the STP edge will be:

This is the statement from config guide which has made my headache:
-In a mixed MSTP and PVST+ network, the common spanning-tree (CST) root
must be inside the MST backbone, and a PVST+ switch cannot connect to
multiple MST regions.

A. have full controll of root (and STP edge) for all vlans
B. start migration on root switch
Any vlan outside MST region with lower STP priority than MST will be in
a Inconsistent state until this has been solved.
'show spantree root' on the root switch is a good starting advice

Easy to simulate this behaviour using only 2 switches

Jon Harald Bøvre