[c-nsp] Router Upgrade Path

Lukasz Bromirski lukasz at bromirski.net
Fri Feb 4 17:35:07 EST 2011

On 2011-02-04 21:40, Rhino Lists wrote:
> I am currently running a Cisco 7206vxr with NPE-G2 and 2GB.  I am peaking at
> 200M of Internet traffic on one of the GigE ports with 40K pps aggregate.
> CPU over the last 72 hours looks like the following:

> I am running BGP and taking 2 Full Routes from 2 different providers.  I
> also have 3 OC-3's and 1 DS3 connected to the router.  I am looking for what
> router I should look at upgrading to or if there is plenty of beef left in
> this one?

The ASR1k mentioned is for sure the nice upgrade path, *but*:

- are you sure the load comes from interrupts, or there's some process
   that is eating CPU? check 'sh proc cpu sorted', or post it here

- NPE-G2 reports CPU loads differently than NPE-G1 and other
   CPU-driven Cisco access platforms, so I'd say the 40-80% of CPU load
   is actually a comfort zone for it, as long as it's really a
   interrupt-driven operation under CEF - but if it would be, you
   should have rather 400kpps-800kpps range on the interfaces, not
   the 40kpps (can you show some drops from sh interfaces aggregated?
   the number seems very low even for feature-loaded software-processing
   platform)

--
"There's no sense in being precise when |               Łukasz Bromirski
  you don't know what you're talking     |      jid:lbromirski at jabber.org
  about."               John von Neumann |    http://lukasz.bromirski.net