[c-nsp] Opinions about the next 6500/7600

cisconsp at SecureObscure.com cisconsp at SecureObscure.com
Fri Feb 4 22:03:37 EST 2011

I really appreciate hearing the consensus of this thread, and figured id
chuck in the question we are churning through right now.

What PCore platform should we bet the farm on in the future?

For one-gig P's the asr1k is an affordable platform, but the issue we are
running into is "how much longer will oc12 and gige be sufficient for our P
devices?"
Our Cisco tengig Pcore platforms right now are limited to the old guard of
65/76, but a cost/port calculation was way too high for the feature
discrepancy with the new platforms such as the asr9k.
The asr9k price is very steep, and using that kind of firepower for a pure P
role of ospf+ldp+mpls+qos was massive overkill.
We were provided with EFT documentation supporting a near-term release of
NXOS that supported MPLS, and with almost half the tengig price-per-port of
the asr9k, the nx7k popped up as a leader for future-proofed 10gig Pcore
platform at the expense of Ethernet-only linecards, and trying to decide
between a bird in the hand or two in the bush.

I also wonder how are others currently aggregating PE's? Ethernet is
becoming almost exclusively how we build PE-P links now, and even some P-P
links are Ethernet now within the same region. I can always rely on the
optical transport group to give me Ethernet if I can't put POS in my router.

John