[c-nsp] Opinions about the next 6500/7600

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sat Feb 5 11:28:25 EST 2011

On Saturday, February 05, 2011 11:03:37 am
cisconsp at secureobscure.com wrote:

> What PCore platform should we bet the farm on in the
> future?
>
> For one-gig P's the asr1k is an affordable platform,...

If you look at a box like the ASR1006 or ASR1013, even
10Gbps connectivity could be feasible provided you're not
oversubscribing the ESP. An ESP40 may not large enough for
some deployments, but the platform lends itself well to
expanding accordingly.

> but
> the issue we are running into is "how much longer will
> oc12 and gige be sufficient for our P devices?"
> Our Cisco tengig Pcore platforms right now are limited to
> the old guard of 65/76, but a cost/port calculation was
> way too high for the feature discrepancy with the new
> platforms such as the asr9k. The asr9k price is very
> steep, and using that kind of firepower for a pure P
> role of ospf+ldp+mpls+qos was massive overkill.

Not necessarily.

Talk to your friendly Cisco account team about getting
reasonable deals on the ASR9000, it can be a great Core
platform provided you don't need SONET/SDH.

If you think about it, there really isn't much choice for a
large scale Core box from Cisco now. The XR12000 doesn't
make sense with the pricing of the CRS, and the ASR9000 is
just as good performance wise (although incremental line
card costs are close to that of a CRS, i.e., affordable, if
you talk to your friendly Cisco account team).

> We were provided with EFT documentation supporting a
> near-term release of NXOS that supported MPLS, and with
> almost half the tengig price-per-port of the asr9k, the
> nx7k popped up as a leader for future-proofed 10gig
> Pcore platform at the expense of Ethernet-only
> linecards, and trying to decide between a bird in the
> hand or two in the bush.

I probably wouldn't bet on having a Nexus 7000 running as a
Core box. Even with dumb, fast cores, chances are it would
be playing catch-up to more established platforms.

Looking at the market, in keeping with relatively low port
costs, Core boxes that will make sense for us are the Cisco
CRS and Juniper MX960. The CRS is a good option because it
can talk SONET/SDH decently. But the MX960 is just as
powerful, especially since, like you, our optical folk hand
us Ethernet at the end of the day.

> I also wonder how are others currently aggregating PE's?

If in the same PoP, into a large Layer 2 switch, e.g., Cisco
6509-E or Juniper EX8200.

If across a WAN, into the core routers.

If across a ring, well, among each other which eventually
ends up at the core routers anyway.

Cheers,

Mark.