[c-nsp] Router/switch recommendations for colocation

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sat Feb 5 03:50:04 EST 2011

On Tuesday, February 01, 2011 05:33:18 am Nick Hilliard
wrote:

> Of course, this assumes that ipv4 prefix growth rate is
> consistent with history - which is quite unlikely.  It's
> likely to go one way or the other, and could easily
> escalate.  For IPv6, are we likely to see one prefix per
> ASN in 18 months time?  That's 36000 ipv6 entries, or
> the equivalent of 144k worth of ipv4 tcam entries.  By
> that reckoning, your 512k tcam entry box will not be
> able to handle ipv4+ipv6 within 12-18 months.  That's
> assuming you have no IGP, mpls, multicast, etc.

And to put things into perspective, now that the IANA have
allocated the final 5, some RIR's are already considering
setting their minimum and/or maximum allocations to LIR's at
/22 in one case, and their minimum of /27 in other cases.

Expect things to start getting interesting as these
remaining /8's are allocated to end-users and LIR's alike.

We are yet to stress our kit.

Cheers,

Mark.