[c-nsp] Router/switch recommendations for colocation

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sat Feb 5 03:37:56 EST 2011

On Friday, January 28, 2011 02:18:51 pm Jim Berwick wrote:

> Looking for a switch that can do ingress and egress rate
> shaping (or thinking of a 3750 stack and handling rate
> shaping on the router upstream), and a router/switch
> that can handle full BGP tables from at least two
> providers.  We need something either fully redundant
> (dual SUP, power supply, etc), or two units with HSRP.

I don't know that many switches that support egress
policing, but the ME3600X/3800X does (although it's not
currently enabled in the software).

Egress shaping is available, however, but shaping could be
more expensive than policing especially for non-critical
traffic.

That said, policing at the router is also a good idea, just
that scaling this requires silicon and not software in the
long run.

Cheers,

Mark.