[c-nsp] Opinions about the next 6500/7600

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sat Feb 5 21:02:25 EST 2011

On Sunday, February 06, 2011 08:47:44 am schilling wrote:

> I concur with single platform too. We are now 6500 data
> center, core/distribution, internet edge/border. If we
> go forward, we have to consider ASR9K, Nexus7000, and
> even ASR1000.  That's where Juniper MX960 is really a
> good alternative for us to consider, plus MX960 has all
> sorts of MPLS VPN support.

The thing that could force you to consider switching to
platforms like the ASR9000 or ASR1000 would be features only
those platforms (today) support, e.g., BGP signaling for
VPLS, p2mp RSVP-TE, NAT64, e.t.c.

Of course, the MX960 supports most (if not all) of those
features too. Cisco may choose to port those features to the
6500 or other IOS-based systems, but there's no telling.

I'm one who doesn't support moving to a different box just
to chase a new feature, especially if the reasons it won't
make it to my existing platforms are commercial/strategic in
nature.

Cheers,

Mark.