[c-nsp] ipv6 internal deployment

Tom Mayer wellknown at gmx.net
Sun Feb 6 18:40:20 EST 2011

Hi,

I am thinking about my deployment strategy for a relatively small v6 network.

Current Situation:

Several racks of dedicated servers. 240 servers per vlan (/24 v4 per vlan) sharing their gateway, isolated from each other via pvlan (+proxyarp) feature.
Rest of addresses from /24 are used for services (3 vrrp routers + 1 virtual default gateway).
If a server needs uncommonly more than one address, it gets a /30 or /29 routed to his main address.

I am planning to assign a /64 v6 to each server.
I think it is not viable to map every /64 with it’s default gateway on the router.

Is there a way to simply transfer the (I think simple, address conserving and secure) v4 strategy to v6?
Now we have not a simple address per server, but a subnet.

What about assigning a link locale address to each server and routing its /64 to this?
e.g.:  fe80::1 default gw (virtual vrrp)

         fe80::2-f1  servers

         fe80::fd vrrp1
         fe80::fe vrrp2
         fe80::ff vrrp3