[c-nsp] TTL not decrementing (MPLS, SXI, Sup720)

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sat Feb 12 04:17:56 EST 2011

On Tuesday, February 08, 2011 01:19:39 am Gert Doering
wrote:

> Part of our next bid for upstream connectivity will be
> "working traceroute".
>
> We're getting tired of people blaiming our upstream link
> for transatlantic delays (hidden by traceroute hiding in
> upstream network), packet loss in upstream network,
> problems with the next-hop ISP border routers, etc.
>
> Yes, we have our share of "customer not able to read
> traceroute", but the pain of "being a customer, and not
> being able to *do* traceroute" is much worse.

I whole-heartedly agree.

Hiding the topology because MPLS makes your network "vanish"
and appear like one big tunnel is forgetting the fundamental
principles of routing. I like MPLS, but for what it can
offer, and not what it takes away. Common sense.

Diminishing troubleshooting capabilities is one of the
reasons I would - even though temporarily - side with the
MPLS haters.

Like IPv6, I think it would be reasonable to add "must
support hop-by-hop traceroute" for upstream bids, since
everyone loves to run MPLS these days, even when it's
probably unnecessary.

Of course, I don't care what private networks do with their
backbones. This post is limited to public service provider
networks.

For public service provider networks bent on hiding their
topology, as a friend would say, "I encourage you to do so
:-)".

Cheers,

Mark.