[c-nsp] cisco 6500 and 40G

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Feb 23 21:12:35 EST 2011

On Thursday, February 24, 2011 07:15:31 am Peter Rathlev
wrote:

> Just like Sup2T and N7k MPLS, it's permanently "available
> at the end of $(( $current_month + 4 ))" or something.
> :-)

I'm not sure that even if 40Gbps line cards did come to the
6500 (or 7600), I'd be willing to consider running it on
this platform.

Given the kinds of deals you can get on the ASR9000 or MX-
series routers, and the prices that have generally shipped
with the new line cards on the 6500 (plus their ensuing
issues with early code), it might just make sense to
consider another platform once you've used up all slots in
your 6509(-E) with the 8-port 10Gbps line cards.

Of course, if you're doing pure Layer 2 switching, the
ASR9000 and MX-series are a waste when planted in that role,
and I'm not sure the EX8200 is any better a deal than the
Nexus 7000.

But that's just me :-).

Cheers,

Mark.