[c-nsp] Upgrading IOS to crypto image

Christopher.Marget at usc-bt.com Christopher.Marget at usc-bt.com
Mon Jan 3 11:17:59 EST 2011

Greetings,

Let's say that I've got some Catalysts that were ordered without a k9 (crypto) software image.  These switches are under SmartNet support, and are installed in a crypto-okay country.  I'm happy with the current feature set and version, except that I want to enable SSH.

If the crypto image had been ordered with the switch, the price would have been the same.  They were just ordered wrong.  Years ago.

So, I want to go from (say) 12.2(54)IPBASE to 12.2(54)IPBASEK9.

I have access to the correct software, but want to do everything right contract-wise.

Do I need to talk to Cisco about this?  Pay them anything?  Update the support contracts?

I've googled around, and found some discussions on the topic, but nothing conclusive.

My thinking is that 'K9' doesn't constitute a "feature set", but I'm not completely sure.  A citation would be great, because there's some disagreement around the office.  I realize that I should be directing this question at a Cisco account manager, but that's complicated right now for dumb reasons.

Thank you!

/chris