[c-nsp] Warm reload in Cisco 6500

Christophe Fillot cf at utc.fr
Tue Jan 4 11:49:56 EST 2011

Keegan Holley wrote:
> Is traffic still forwarded during the reload?  It's not explicitly mentioned
> whether or not the reload is control plane only.

The "reload warm" command is not available on 12.2(33)SXI4a for sure
(I've just checked it).

The warm reload feature works by loading and uncompressing the new
image before rebooting. The current IOS image is still running and
forwarding traffic during this phase. When the device reboots, it skips
the flash reading step since the new IOS is already present in memory
(of course, the device doesn't forward traffic during this).
Note that you have to configure "warm-reboot" and reboot to enable
the feature (it has to reserve some memory iirc).