[c-nsp] Warm reload in Cisco 6500

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Wed Jan 5 10:09:16 EST 2011

On Tuesday, January 04, 2011 11:45:15 am Keegan Holley wrote:
> The link above says it's available on the 6500 which is definitely not CPU
> based or non-distributed.  I was hoping for something like NSF where it just
> trusts the info in TCAM while the reload/re-convergence happens in the
> control-plane only.

You could simulate a warm semi-reload if you're set up with two Sups in SSO by using the 'redundancy force-switchover' command, and, if your specific IOS and Sup don't reload the new standby as part of the process (it does on my Sup2/MSFC2 7609's running 12.2(18)SXF) you can use 'hw-module module X reset'  where X is the module number of the new standby that you want to reload.  Once you're back in SSO redundancy mode ('sh redundancy') repeat the process, and both Sups will have been reset, and you'll have two NSF/SSO events.

I actually do this occasionally to make sure the current standby is actually properly working; this is also the way I rotate in spare Sups to make sure they're operational (with Sup2 systems spares are good).