[c-nsp] BFD alternative

Phil Bedard philxor at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 15:41:21 EST 2011

I believe both devices support 802.3ah (Ethernet Link OAM).  You can get
similar functionality out of 802.3ah as BFD, although it operates at an
entire link level and not L3 logical interface level.  I'm not sure how
Cisco works with regards to 802.3ah and protocol notification but other
vendors simply mark the interface as down which triggers the protocols.

However, BFD/802.3ah is just for control plane fault detection, it doesn't
speed up convergence at all.  So using it in conjunction with IGP timer
optimization, etc. will help with re-convergence.

We are in a similar situation with the use of rings but our vendor does
not support unnumbered Ethernet links.  We use /31s on all of the links so
the ring insertions are done by adding IP addresses in a contiguous
fashion instead of worrying about normal /30s and skipping addresses.
Additionally we are using CSPF-driven RSVP-TE with FRR and using
unnumbered links doesn't really work.  I would stay away from unnumbered
links simply due to odd feature support, which is something you are
running into already.

Phil