[c-nsp] GRP vs. PRP-1

Sascha Pollok nsp-list at pollok.net
Mon Jan 10 18:53:54 EST 2011

Hello Mike,

> We had a GSR with the GRP-B fall over this morning when we brought up a 3rd transit (full table) connection on the device with an Out of Memory error.  We are running 3-port Gig cards with full memory and the GRP as the base.
>
> Would upgrading to a PRP with full RAM alleviate this problem?  I have no operational experience with the PRP so I'm not sure if it "fixes" the number of full tables I can take on the box.

yes. You would still be facing growing CEF table usage (sh ip cef res) on
the 3GE linecard but it still works. You might look at the 4GE-SFP-LC
later.

The PRP-1 has much more room to put stuff in (1GB Ram) and is much faster.
It still shows high CPU though when it comes to a high number of
peers etc. You might consider PRP-2 in that case. But in your case
PRP-1 should be perfectly fine.

Sascha