[c-nsp] Backup edge port

Ronan Mullally ronan at iol.ie
Tue Jan 11 05:08:01 EST 2011

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011, Peter Rathlev wrote:

> On Mon, 2011-01-10 at 19:44 +0100, Gert Doering wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 07:56:51PM +0200, Ibrahim Abo Zaid wrote:
> > > I have a server connected to 2 switches and need to implement
>
> +1
>
> For Linux servers, just use bonding with the modprobe.conf options
> "mode=active-backup primary=eth0". I can give a full example if somebody
> would want that.

Another +1 - I've done bonding on Linux servers across different switches
many times.  The last time the switches involved were stacked 3750Gs
allowing me to do etherchannel on the switch side.

The bonding module has a few parameters that can be tweaked to suit your
situation, but the setup is straightforward.  I've done something similar
on a Windows server, but it was handled by the NIC driver rather than
being part of the OS.

-Ronan