[c-nsp] ARP strangeness

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Tue Jan 11 07:51:28 EST 2011

Frank,

Maybe you could put it in a timeline for me as i think I'm still missing
what exactly is failing. Sorry, a bit slow the last few days.

The 7600 should send a *unicast* arp to every entry in it's arp cache 60
seconds prior to what you have the arp timer set to.
It will then send another just at the arp timer expiring *if* it didn't
get a response to the first one.

So if your arp timer on the 7600 is low enough it should keep L2 mac
forwarding state alive on all transit devices out to the CPE no?

Broadcast is only sent when the L2 mapping isn't known.

Rodney