[c-nsp] SVI MTU on 6509

Justin Krejci jkrejci at usinternet.com
Wed Jan 12 19:08:20 EST 2011

Specs
6509
Sup720-3bxl
6748-ge (cfc)
12.2(33)SXI3

What is the difference between the following as I note they have
different minimums by 4 bytes? It looks if i set the "svi interface mtu"
the IP MTU is increased as well which I am guessing cannot (or should
not) be lower than the "svi interface" mtu. Is there any reason in
changing ip mtu separately from the svi interface mtu especially given
that only ipv4 is currently in use?

6509(config)#int vlan 103
6509(config-if)#mtu ?
  <64-9216>MTU size in bytes

6509(config-if)#ip mtu ?
  <68-9216>MTU (bytes)

6509(config-if)#do show run int vlan 103 | inc mtu
 mtu 9216
6509(config-if)#do show int vlan 103 | inc MTU
  MTU 9216 bytes, BW 1000000 Kbit, DLY 10 usec,
6509(config-if)#do show ip int vlan 103 | inc MTU is
  MTU is 9216 bytes