[c-nsp] Advice on Core Swithes / Routers

Alexander Clouter alex at digriz.org.uk
Thu Jan 13 05:46:49 EST 2011

Phil Mayers <p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:

> SLB on the 6500 (as opposed to with an ACE module) has caveats; it's
> slow (as initial packets are punted to CPU) and Cisco don't really
> support it AFAICT.

SLB on our 6500 gave us more trouble than good; it would randomly stop
working and was a right pain to diagnose (is any load-balancing
reliable, compliant and easy to diagnose?).

I moved to anycast'ing which has worked out far better for us and is a
far simplier system to understand:

http://www.digriz.org.uk/ha-ospf-anycast

Cheers

--
Alexander Clouter
.sigmonster says: Death is nature's way of telling you to slow down.