[c-nsp] Advice on Core Swithes / Routers

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Jan 13 05:10:20 EST 2011

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 11:23:47AM +0200, Chris Knipe wrote:
> I need a Layer 2 & 3 device that is fully capable of BGP, OSPF, HRSP, IPSEC,
> NAT, and Clustering/Load Balancing certain inbound services.  The device
> needs to terminate various Serial Interfaces (up to 8 E1's) as well as
> provide 10/100 Ethernet on a switching as well as routing level.

7301, PA-MC-8E1, 2960S tacked to it for the "switching" side...

> I was thinking of a small 6500 - but I'm not sure about Serial interfaces on
> the 6500.  Is there any other devices that I could possibly look at.  I
> would like to hear some recommendations.

Serials on a 6500 require flexwan + PA, and the flexwan is expensive
(and I seem to remember that it's end of support, but that might be the
flexwan1 while the flexwan2 is still supported).  I'd not go there - the
6500 is a great platform for ethernet stuff, but WAN stuff has always been
"bolted to the side", with mixed-quality software support, etc.

With a 7301+2960S, you can get up to 48 switched ports in 2RU, and the
7301 will actually do a better job at BGP+OSPF than the 6500 (because
that's question of CPU, and the 7300 is faster).

A 6500/7600 will need more space, more power, and if all you need is
10/100, the much higher packet throughput for L3 stuff is likely not
necessary...

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de