[c-nsp] Constant output drops on etherchannel

Tóth András diosbejgli at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 16:21:20 EST 2011

What load-balance method do you use? If you see an uneven distribution
of output drops across the 2 L2 interface, consider changing the
etherchannel load-balance method to have a more even traffic
distribution (src-dst-ip for example).

I understand that you have 5 switches in the stack. You might consider
spreading the etherchannel member interfaces across the stack members,
in a way that the 2 ports should connect to different member switches
(you can have the members on different members as cross-stack
etherchannel is supported). This will ensure that you don't
oversubscribe buffers on one port-asic (buffers are allocated per
port-asic on 3750 switches).

You might try to create a SPAN monitor session with the etherchannel
member interfaces being the source ports to see if you find a burst of
packets in a short interval which could lead to output drops due to
buffer starvation. This will help you identify what's the source of
the bursts. You might also look for unexpected or flooded traffic and
consider pruning unnecessary vlans (if it's a trunk) to prevent
flooding of broadcast and unknown unicast traffic on the etherchannel.

Ultimately, you can increase the bandwidth by adding more links to the
port-channel or using 10G links instead of GigabitEthernet.

Best regards,
Andras