[c-nsp] Router/switch recommendations for colocation

Jim Berwick jim at jamesberwick.com
Fri Jan 28 01:18:51 EST 2011

Hello,

Hoping someone can offer advice on hardware.  We're going to be offering
bandwidth to our colo customers.  Initially we're bringing in a single
100mbit connection (Level3) but planning to add a Verizon circuit in the
near future and do BGP (full routes from both providers).  We're looking
for something to terminate the internet as well as the customer connections.

Looking for a switch that can do ingress and egress rate shaping (or
thinking of a 3750 stack and handling rate shaping on the router
upstream), and a router/switch that can handle full BGP tables from at
least two providers.  We need something either fully redundant (dual
SUP, power supply, etc), or two units with HSRP.

The idea that was put on the table already is a 3750 stack (two
switches, feeding each customer two connections) uplinked to two 3845s
to handle layer 3 routing of the customer VLANs and the BGP sessions.
My concern with that setup is the 3845 being able to handle two full BGP
tables.

Any advice that can be offered would be greatly appreciated!