[c-nsp] loss of mgmt vlan interface on 2950g help!

Ryan Goldberg RGoldberg at compudyne.net
Thu Jan 27 20:46:58 EST 2011

On Jan 27, 2011, at 7:20 PM, "Mike" <mike-cisconsplist at tiedyenetworks.com> wrote:

>   I was doing some troubleshooting on my 2950g switch. The 'management interface', is vlan1, and had an ip address and so forth in it I could reach. Apparently, a stupid move was to go into config mode and type the following
>
> interface vlan 300
>
>   At that point, my telnet management session went away and the switch is no longer reachable via management any longer, although otherwise continues to function. I am sort of at a loss to understand what the problem is but would love to know so a) I don't do it again and b) to know if there's a way to recover from remote since it's (naturally!) in a very difficult to acccess location, and having management access again would be helpful.

Only one active svi allowed at a time on an L2 switch.  Running that command created a new svi (vlan300) which "deactivated" vlan1.  I use "reload in 5" liberally, and if I know the change will break my connectivity I use "config replace ..." combined with a "reload in ....".  I've got gear at towers many hours' drive away and a lot of them do no have OOB, so I always try to cover my butt...

Ryan