[c-nsp] 6500 to nexus internal vlans

Jeff Fitzwater jfitz at princeton.edu
Fri Jan 28 09:51:40 EST 2011

We are looking upgrading one of our 6500 to a nexus 7000, but I see that the nexus uses the following internal vlans that cannot be used or changed as stated in the doc ....

----------
Found in... Cisco Nexus 5000 Series NX-OS Software Configuration Guide

NVLANs 3968 to 4047 and 4094 are reserved for internal use; these VLANs cannot be changed or used.
Cisco NX-OS allocates a group of 80 VLAN numbers for those features, such as multicast and diagnostics, that need to use internal VLANs for their operation. By default, the system allocates VLANs numbered 3968 to 4047 for internal use. VLAN 4094 is also reserved for internal use by the switch.

You cannot use, modify, or delete any of the VLANs in the reserved group. You can display the VLANs that are allocated internally and their associated use.

---------

We are currently using some of these vlans and it would be very difficult to change 100s of switches.

Is there some way around this issue ?

Thanks for any help.

Jeff Fitzwater
OIT Network Systems