[c-nsp] Router/switch recommendations for colocation

Bill Blackford BBlackford at nwresd.k12.or.us
Fri Jan 28 10:17:51 EST 2011

>> Hoping someone can offer advice on hardware.  We're going to be
>> offering bandwidth to our colo customers.  Initially we're bringing in
>> a single 100mbit connection (Level3) but planning to add a Verizon
>> circuit in the near future and do BGP (full routes from both
>> providers).  We're looking for something to terminate the internet as
>> well as the customer connections.

Think of growth.

> According to it, the
> 3845 is rated at 500kpps, which ought to be enough to handle two 100mbit
> uplinks ... you might want to look into maybe a 7301, which can handle
> twice the throughput (~1mpps) and is only 1RU

I've never been able to get more than 100kpps out of a 7301. That's with no ACLs, limited policies, etc. CPU goes wonky at about 60kpps. I would highly recommend the ASRs. I have some ASR1002's deployed and haven't been able to even wake them up let alone kill them. If you have bursty traffic at all, go with silicon, not software.

YMMV,

-b