[c-nsp] Router/switch recommendations for colocation

Elmar K. Bins elmi at 4ever.de
Fri Jan 28 10:35:20 EST 2011

Re Bill

BBlackford at nwresd.k12.or.us (Bill Blackford) wrote:

> > According to it, the
> > 3845 is rated at 500kpps, which ought to be enough to handle two 100mbit
> > uplinks ... you might want to look into maybe a 7301, which can handle
> > twice the throughput (~1mpps) and is only 1RU
>
> I've never been able to get more than 100kpps out of a 7301. That's with no ACLs, limited policies, etc. CPU goes wonky at about 60kpps. I would highly recommend the ASRs. I have some ASR1002's deployed and haven't been able to even wake them up let alone kill them. If you have bursty traffic at all, go with silicon, not software.

I have no idea what you did wrong with your 7301; I managed a bit more than
350 kpps - with small packets of course. Once you add enough bandwidth for
that packet rate at large packet sizes, you need port channels, and those
eat up CPU too...

ASRs are a good choice if you need full features (albeit not all of them
work) and hardware forwarding.

If you need no features, or only a few, try one of the switches
(3560/3750)

Elmar.