[c-nsp] Router/switch recommendations for colocation

David webnetwiz at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 13:22:28 EST 2011

Why would there be a need to forklift? If the box will not do peering via
IPv6, then modify the CAM profile to allocate more memory for IPv4, and that
takes care of 500+K IPv4 routes. The key thing here is how many routes are
held in the FIB, which holds the best routes after BGP machine runs through
its calculations, and as long as the box can hold all of the peer's routes
in the RIB-in, then you're ok. Hopefully when we allocate all /8 this year,
folks will start moving over to IPv6. With IPv6's aggregation capabilities,
you won't need such a large table, so you're ok there. The OP is only doing
two BGP sessions, and it seems requires a multitude of GigE ports, so an ASR
here gets expensive fast for this type of deployment. I am curious though
Mike... what box would you suggest here?

David.