[c-nsp] Firewalls "as-a-service" in an MPLS infrastructure...

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Mon Jul 11 09:45:14 EDT 2011

Not wanting to be rude by following up my own posting, but I had several
queries about this, public and private.  Here are some reference URLs amd
quotes for each, all referring to 8.4 software - although this is also true
for all previous software versions.

Nick

On 11/07/2011 09:00, Nick Hilliard wrote:
> - dynamic routing

"Multiple

context mode does not support dynamic routing"

> - ipsec

"Note

When the ASA is configured for IPsec VPN, you cannot enable security
contexts (also called firewall multimode) or Active/Active stateful
failover. Therefore, these features are unavailable. "

> - any sort of VPN

"VPNs

work only in single, routed mode. VPN functionality is unavailable in
configurations that include either security contexts, also referred to as
multimode firewall, or Active/Active stateful failover."

The exception to this caveat is that you can configure and use one
connection for administrative purposes to (not through) the ASA in
transparent mode."

> - QoS

"Note

QoS is only available in single context mode."

> - phone proxy

"•The

phone proxy is not supported when the ASA is running in transparent
mode or multiple context mode. "

> - pppoe

"Note:

PPPoE is not supported when failover is configured on the ASA, or in
multiple context or transparent mode. PPPoE is only supported in single,
routed mode, without failover. "