[c-nsp] sup2T software & release notes have hit

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Wed Jul 13 11:17:57 EDT 2011

On 13/07/2011 15:56, Mark Tinka wrote:
> Part number: FTLX8511D3-CS Serial number: FNS14510S11

the FTLX8511D3 is an SR transceiver, not an LR4.  The electrical interface
on an SR transceiver is 10G, not 4 x 3.125G, i.e. no serdes required.

> Juniper have this one locked down. I never have to wonder whether an
> optical module on any Juniper router will work on any Juniper switch,
> even though the different platforms may have different product names for
> the same optical module. It just works.

To be completely fair on vendors, transceiver compatibility is a bit of a
nightmare.  For an equivalent sort of comparison, I have heard it said that
it's a bit like an IDE driver or a SATA driver in some respects - the basic
instruction set is relatively simple, but according as you support more
devices, you end up with more device-quirks management in your code than
actual driver code.

Nick