[c-nsp] sup2T software & release notes have hit

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Jul 13 21:20:04 EDT 2011

On Wednesday, July 13, 2011 11:57:10 PM Phil Mayers wrote:

> AIUI, Cisco has (or believes it has) a lot of customers
> with crappy old multimode that they can't replace, and
> is over-length for traditional 10gig transceivers. Hence
> the LX4, which gives you (marginally) better range than
> other 10gig multimode transceivers, but needs room for
> the built-in CWDM - therefore we end up with enterprise
> kit using the bigger Xenpak/X2 form-factor.

Yes, I suppose that's when the LX4 transceiver would come
into its own.

In our case, we use SR transceivers for all multi-mode runs
(50um), which all appear to be spec.'ed for up to 300m, but
we've only really run them up to 20m at the most.

I'd consider an LX4 transceiver because then it gets you
single-mode fibre support. But in our specific environment,
we don't have old multi-mode runs, so it's cheaper to just
go with SR optics for 850nm, and regular 1310nm and 1550nm
optics for single-mode.

That said, I do understand that some houses may have old
multi-mode fibre which they can't replace, and deploying the
LX4 transceiver would be a cheaper option.

Cheers,

Mark.