[c-nsp] GRE Tunnel interface on NX-OS 5.1

Matthew Melbourne matt at melbourne.org.uk
Thu Jul 14 11:59:43 EDT 2011

We are running NX-OS 5.1(3) on a N7k, and am trying to configure a GRE
tunnel between it and a Catalys 6509.

We are finding that certain traffic flows across the GRE tunnel (e.g.
where the destination is an SVI on Nexus within PRI_VRF, but not to a
host in PRI_VRF connected to Nexus.

There is the following comment in the Release Notes:

Guidelines and Limitations:
IP tunnels have the following configuration guidelines and limitations:

(a) Cisco NX-OS supports the GRE Header defined in IETF RFC 2784.
Cisco NX-OS does not support tunnel keys and other options from IETF
RFC 1701.

(b) Both the tunnel interface and the tunnel transport must reside in
same VRF otherwise the hardware data path fails.

(c) For Cisco NX-OS Release 5.0(1) and later, the maximum number of
supported tunnel interfaces was changed to 4095.

Does the following GRE tunnel configuration fall foul of (b); I'm
interpreting the tunnel transport to be the VRF of the tunnel
source/destination, which in this case is different to the VRF of the
tunnel itself?

interface Tunnel0
  vrf member PRI_VRF
  ip address 10.222.2.26/30