[c-nsp] How do ACLs effect throughput

Terence Scott terence.scott at um.edu.mt
Thu Jul 14 03:21:00 EDT 2011

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the link and for sharing your experience. Essentially we are
upgrading these links because the current ADSL ones have been struggling
for some time and we are also looking at increasing activities (and
therefore increasing network traffic) in the near future. While we won't
be using 100Mbps from the start we will very probably be pushing the
10Mbps envelope within days/weeks of deploying the new link, so I guess
the time has come to replace the venerable 2600s :-)

As you said we could also use L3 switches and in fact this is probably
what we'll do since we only need packet switching and fire-walling (read
ACLs) in these remote sites.

Regards,

Terence