[c-nsp] Burned up 2790

Mike mike-cisconsplist at tiedyenetworks.com
Fri Jul 15 10:55:41 EDT 2011

Hi,

For the second time in 7 months, I had a 2970 go south on me. I get a
power light, and thats about it and no console no nothing. The thing
appeared to have some sort of trouble earlier in the day with it
interrupting routing briefly between some routers but then it settled
down, dying later all of a sudden. No smoke, opening the box shows
nothing scorched, and I'm just beside myself trying to figure out what
can be done. I would love to be able to justify a 6500 for the
redundancy features and plug in card archetecture, but I'm comfortably
working within the 24 gige ports and 4 sfp's of the 2970. Is there
anything between the 6500 and 2970 that gives me the redundancy of the
6500 with the smaller form factor of the 2970? I an justify spending
more since I can't deal with the downtime of a critically important
switch going down, I just need some pointers on what to look for.

Thanks.