[c-nsp] rr-group and ORF capability

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Mon Jul 18 01:48:38 EDT 2011

Adam,

> Hi there,
> I was configuring the rr-groups in the lab the other day and noticed
that
> the routes are still being advertised from PEs towards the RRs where
they
> where blocked as defined in the policy
> But the route-target filters should have been passed down to PEs via
the ORF
> type-3 update -to block the advertisements at the PEs
> -was using 122-33.SRE
> I was expecting to see the ORF type 3 Ext Communities capability to be
> advertised at least under the AF-dependant capabilities

RR-group is a local feature applied to inbound vpnv4 updates, which does
not involve any ORF capabilities to push the filtering to the peers. So
the behaviour you're seeing is expected. rr-group has been around for
quite a bit longer than any orf capability..

> What is your experience with the rr-groups please or are you rather
using
> conventional community filters at PEs or RRs please?

I've not seen rr-group being used yet, rather conventional filters in
case RRs need to be partitioned, as you've suggested..

	oli