[c-nsp] sup2T software & release notes have hit

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Jul 19 02:36:54 EDT 2011

On 07/19/2011 02:23 AM, Tony Varriale wrote:

> Well, neither of those (I'm sure of the 6708 and almost 100% on the
> 6716) actually have a CFC and the DFC is not a FRU. Hence, the issue.

You're correct that both the 6708 and 6716 do not come with / cannot use
a CFC, but they differ w.r.t. DFC4 upgradeability:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/hardware/Config_Notes/OL_24918.html

"""
WS-X6716-10GE

DFC3A, DFC3B, DFC3BXL, DFC3C, or DFC3XL

Upgradeable? Yes. With either a WS-F6K-DFC4-E or a WS-F6K-DFC4-EXL
"""

This matches what Cisco told me in a very specific response to a very
explicit question; the 6716 is upgradeable, the 6708 is not. Note it's a
DFC4-E, which is different to the rest of the 67xx cards, which take a
DFC4-A. I assume this is form-factor related.