[c-nsp] sup2T software & release notes have hit

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Tue Jul 19 03:39:36 EDT 2011

On Tuesday, July 19, 2011 02:36:54 PM Phil Mayers wrote:

> This matches what Cisco told me in a very specific
> response to a very explicit question; the 6716 is
> upgradeable, the 6708 is not. Note it's a DFC4-E, which
> is different to the rest of the 67xx cards, which take a
> DFC4-A. I assume this is form-factor related.

It's a real shame that moving from the SUP720 to the SUP2T
will mean throwing out my still-more-than-capable WS-
X6708's.

Oh well, for a pure Layer 2 switching house, the SUP720 is
doing just fine, so it'll be a very long while before we
consider the new SUP2T.

But I see how this could be a seriously compelling issue for
folk using the 6500 as routers, because on paper, the SUP2T
seems nearly as impressive as an ASR9000 or Juniper MX,
depending on your use-cases, of course. Good luck to those
folk.

Mark.