[c-nsp] sup2T software & release notes have hit

Tony Varriale tvarriale at comcast.net
Wed Jul 20 19:48:46 EDT 2011

On 7/19/2011 1:36 AM, Phil Mayers wrote:
> On 07/19/2011 02:23 AM, Tony Varriale wrote:
>
>> Well, neither of those (I'm sure of the 6708 and almost 100% on the
>> 6716) actually have a CFC and the DFC is not a FRU. Hence, the issue.
>
> You're correct that both the 6708 and 6716 do not come with / cannot
> use a CFC, but they differ w.r.t. DFC4 upgradeability:
>
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/hardware/Config_Notes/OL_24918.html
>

> """
> WS-X6716-10GE
>
> DFC3A, DFC3B, DFC3BXL, DFC3C, or DFC3XL
>
> Upgradeable? Yes. With either a WS-F6K-DFC4-E or a WS-F6K-DFC4-EXL
> """
>
> This matches what Cisco told me in a very specific response to a very
> explicit question; the 6716 is upgradeable, the 6708 is not. Note it's
> a DFC4-E, which is different to the rest of the 67xx cards, which take
> a DFC4-A. I assume this is form-factor related.
Sorry for the confusion here.  Yes, the DFC is upgradable to XL.  But,
what I didn't explain well is that there is no CFC option on the 6708/16.

The 6708 and 6716 don't have a dbus or rbus connection and therefore
cannot be used in CFC mode.

And, due to the above statement, I'm confused on why the 6708 is not
moving forward but the 6716 IS.

tv