[c-nsp] sup2T software & release notes have hit

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Jul 20 12:28:46 EDT 2011

On 20/07/11 16:53, Kevin Graham wrote:
> On Jul 19, 2011, at 1:38 PM, Nick Hilliard<nick at foobar.org>  wrote:
>
>> Have you considered the monumental task of making NX-OS or XR work
>> with older linecards?  Or even IOS-XE?
>
> Absolutely -- that's my point. I'm surprised by bringing a new
> software model to the 2T given that it's game over for the 6500.
> However, given the effort, XE makes the least sense. (Unless the
> "userland IOS" encapsulation is relatively easy, in which case I
> would have expected it on  high-end ISR's first).

Well... just because something is easy for Cisco doesn't mean they would
do it. They might believe that IOS XE on the ISRs would eat into the
market for ASR, so they don't do it.

Basically, I don't think we can infer anything about how easy or hard
IOS XE on the Sup2T would be. I suspect it wouldn't be hard to get it
running, but it might be to get it running fast.

I do share the original scepticism re: XE on sup2T, given past 6500
software shenanigans!