[c-nsp] BGP "keep alives throttled do to tcp", MTU mismatch?

Scott Granados scott at granados-llc.net
Fri Jul 22 11:53:31 EDT 2011

Absolutely dead on, thank you so much for the nudge it pointed me in the
right direction.

Here's what worked

using the show ip bgp nei a.b.c.d | I data I was presented with an MSS of
1482
1482+40 = 1522.  Using the DF bit set and extended ping commands I was
unable to pass data larger than 1504.  I assume this is because the mtu 1522
command set on the interfaces was set and the medium between us can't pass
larger packets.  I had increased the MTU to allow for VLAN tags based on an
example I had googled.

I set ip mtu on the subinterface of 1500, reestablished the sessions and
viewed the MSS again which showed 1460.  1460+40 = 1500 or MTU joy!

Sessions have been up for an hour now and traffic is passing.

Thank you and the others on and off list for pointing me in the right
direction!

Scott