[c-nsp] Supported Modules / Linecards for 7600 Series

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Jun 6 05:33:42 EDT 2011

On 06/06/2011 10:16 AM, Florian Kuehn wrote:

> Do the Ethernet line cards of the 6500 series also fit into 7600 series?

All of them fit, because the 7600 and 6500 are fundamentally the same
device, but with different labelling and some EEPROM data.

However, some of them may not be supported by the 7600 IOS train
(12.2SR) as opposed to the 6500 IOS (12.2SX). Therefore you really need
to consult the documentation for the specific IOS version you are (or
are planning to) run. The IOS version determines what it supported to a
large extent.

I believe most of the 67xx series linecards will work e.g.

6748-SFP
6748-TX
6704

...however as I recall the 6716 is not supported. I *think* the 6708 is
supported.

The LAN cards however cannot support some features that the more
expensive SPA/ES linecards can - for example VPLS. Search the list
archives for much discussion.