[c-nsp] Massive increase of "ignored" errors on 7200 after upgrade to 12.2SRE3

Sigurbjörn Birkir Lárusson sigurbjornl at vodafone.is
Fri Jun 10 10:05:15 EDT 2011

Hello there,

After upgrade to SRE3 we've been noticing a huge increase in input errors on the 7200s (input errors counting as ignored packets).  This is classic microburst behaviour, however it seems to have gotten substantially worse with SRE.  With previous (SB) software, the input errors usually didn't start to count until the port reached ~100Mbits of traffic, now it's happening even at 15-20Mbits with the router CPU hardly loaded and in amount that I haven't seen before.

Adding to my previous mail, I've discovered that this issue only seems to happen on MPLS enabled interfaces, queuing on the interface does not matter, happens with FIFO, Class-Based and Fair-Weighted queueing.  Hold-Queue makes no difference.

I'd appreciate any insight

Kind regards,
Sigurbjörn