[c-nsp] VSS - Horror stories, show-stoppers, other personal experience?

Tony Varriale tvarriale at comcast.net
Fri Jun 17 23:38:01 EDT 2011

On 6/16/2011 5:05 PM, Mike G wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> We're looking at implementing VSS between our distribution/core switches,
> which are currently in a high-availability configuration using HSRP.
>
> > From my research so far, the system is straight-forward and the limitations
> and requirements are fairly well documented.
>
> Has anyone had personal experience with a VSS deployment?  If so, do you
> have any horror stories, caveats, and/or recommendations?  I'm also
> interested in people's experience with IPv6 implementation in a VSS
> environment.

If this is your first go at it, I'd recommend getting a really good
brief on it and also do acceptance/failure/etc testing before
production.  This will really help you understand how it works and how
to troubleshoot in the event something goes wrong in production.

Depending on your time frame, if you can I would wait for the Sup2Ts to
come out.

With that said, I've had very good experiences with VSS.

tv