[c-nsp] VSS w/non sup VSL

Graham Wooden graham at g-rock.net
Sat Jun 18 13:49:10 EDT 2011

On 6/18/11 12:21 PM, "scott owens" <scottowens12 at gmail.com> wrote:

> We are doing the sup based dual link VSL.
> we reclaimed older 6704 for 10Gb uplinks / downlinks because at the time we
> did not need the 6708s ... which would allow us to do sup & line card VSL.
> Our thought is that if the sup based VSL fails ... odds are high (100% ?)
> that the sup itself failed and the box would be dead anyway ...
> Using 6708 line cards for the VSL links. really does not gain us anything

I wouldn't assume that if a SUP-based VSL link fails that it's the SUPs
fault.  It depends on your environment; our campus (a dirty manufacturing
complex), we are constantly fighting SM fiber strand issues all the time.

Our VSS core is separated between buildings. We run the Quad-SUP setup,
(SXI4a), with VSL on each SUP pair as well as a on the 6708. All three
taking diverse paths.  Never had one single hardware issue since going to
this setup ... However, we have lots of physical strand issues ...

Our (3) VSS distros run the single-sup-chassis (each node being geographic
separated on the campus, matched with another distro's node), with the VSL
between the SUPs and between the 6708s.  Of course, cross-connected to each
core VSS node.

-graham