[c-nsp] OSPF default wont originate with default from ibgp

Eric Morin Eric.Morin at corp.xplornet.com
Fri Jun 24 13:35:43 EDT 2011

Short question: Should a default from iBGP trigger a default into ospf
if the (ospf) originate command is conditional on a default in the
table? Documents say 'bgp', but what I am seeing is that a default from
ibgp wont trigger it, but a default from ebgp will.... Is this correct
behaviour or I am missing something, or maybe a bug.. (4948
12.2(50)SG1)?

Longer description/explanation:

I have two access routers and two core routers in a square config. The
access routers need to run ospf to support access platforms downstream,
but upstream of the access router (facing core routers) I have ISIS for
loop connectivity and meshed ibgp between core and access routers.
Access routers have bgp network statements for OSPF routes. The access
routers are only getting a default from core routers via iBGP.

I want the access routers to both originate a default into ospf and then
use the iBGP default to get to the core routers with full tables. On the
access routers I have the (AD) distance for ospf set to 205 (ibgp +5) so
access routers install the ibgp def route instead of the ospf def coming
from other access router, otherwise when both access routers are
originating a default they install each other's default and it loops.

For some reason I cant get the access router to originate the default
into ospf once it has the iBGP default in the RT. When ibgp session
replaced with ebgp session it triggers the ospf default, of course, the
'always' statement in ospf originate command triggers it as well. I have
read that a 'bgp' def route will satisfy ospf's condition to have a
default before it originates, but cant get it to trigger. What could I
be missing? Could it that it doesn't like the iBGP default (vs eBGP)?

Thanks in advance for any advice/guidance

Eric