[c-nsp] Content filters configured as transparent bridges and spanning tree

Pete Lumbis alumbis at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 00:37:49 EDT 2011

What do you mean by "weren't agreeing"?

My only experience is with transparent firewalls which don't pass BPDUs, but
act in actual active/standby. The standby doesn't pass any traffic so there
is no mac learning over those ports.

When there is a firewall failover BPDUs are suddenly received on a port that
the switches never heard BPDUs on before and they see this as an STP event
and things should settle out correctly.

If these filters don't act in an active/backup scenario by themselves and
you are hoping to have STP do it for you then they have to pass BPDUs. If
they don't pass BPDUs then STP will never detect a potential loop and will
never put any ports into blocking state.

-Pete