[c-nsp] PPPoE server on Cisco 871

Chris Conn cconn at b2b2c.ca
Thu Jun 30 09:31:50 EDT 2011

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to configure PPPoE server on Cisco 871 with 12.4(15)T5 IOS
> version.
>
> *Topology is looks like below*
>
> PC --->  Switch ---->  Cisco 871 router
>

> *My PPPoE related configuration is below *
>
> aaa authentication ppp default local
> aaa authorization network default local
>
> username pppuser password 7 aasdf192013293
>
> bba-group pppoe global
>   virtual-template 1
>
> interface loopback 0
> ip address 172.16.0.1 255.255.255.0
>
> interface fastethernet 0
> pppoe enable group global
>

> interface virtual-template 1
>   ip unnumbered loopback 0
>   no peer default ip address
>   ppp mtu adaptive
>   ppp authentication pap callin
>   ppp ipcp dns 103.3.28.11
>
> radius-server attribute nas-port format b
> radius-server dead-criteria time 3 tries 10
> radius-server host 192.168.0.1 auth-port 1812 acct-port 1813
> radius-server key 7 12akl189klasdf9232
> radius-server vsa send accounting
> radius-server vsa send authentication
>

> I created PPPoE connection on Windows 7 and trying to connect but I got *error
> 651. The modem (or other connecting device) has reported an error.*
>
> What did I missing on configuration? Please advice me.

It is my experience that PPPoE as an LNS or PPPoE relay on the 871,
although seemingly supported by the 871 via the feature navigator, it
actually isn't.  The 871 never answers the PADI.  Quite frustrating.  I
tried to report it many years ago and my TAC case went nowhere.

Maybe find yourself a 1700 series (1710?) and try on that platform, I
spent many frustrating hours trying to get the 871 to do this.

Chris