[c-nsp] Minimum hardware for IOS XR?

Glorb Age glorbage at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 09:49:05 EST 2011

Hi NSP,

I'm trying to build a test lab for IOS XR, and I'm having trouble figuring
out what is the minimum platform and modules I need on a GSR to run the VPLS
feature.  The Cisco Feature Navigator is no help, since it just tells me
that I need PRP to run the XR code that has VPLS, but it doesn't go into
specifics on hardware.  Can anyone point me in the right direction of some
hardware documentation, or tell me from experience what specifically I need
to build this?  Since I'm putting this together myself the key issue is the
cost.

Here's what I've come up with so far, please correct me if I'm wrong:

GSR 12008 Chassis
PRP-1
One of these:
4GE-SFP-LC - Cisco XR 12000 and 12000 Series 4-Port Gigabit Ethernet ISE
Line Card

One of these three:
4OC3X/POS-LR-LC-B(=) - 4-port OC-3/STM-1 POS line card, LR optics (Engine 3)
4OC3X/POS-IR-LC-B(=) - 4-port OC-3/STM-1 POS line card, IR optics (Engine 3)
4OC3X/POS-MM-MJ-B(=) - 4-port OC-3/STM-1 POS line card, multimode optics
(Engine 3)

Can anyone confirm that IOS XR will run on PRP-1, and not just PRP-2?  I'm
assuming it won't run on the older GRPs.

What is the difference in the chassis other than number of slots and the
fabric?  Since this is just for testing, I'm trying to find the cheapest
chassis with the minimum AC power supply requirements.

What does the CSC card do?  Is this needed?

>From what I've read, the GigE ISE card will be the CE facing interface that
runs VPLS, and the PoS can be the core facing card that just does MPLS.

Thanks in advance