[c-nsp] Minimum hardware for IOS XR?

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Tue Mar 1 10:41:40 EST 2011

On 3/1/2011 8:49 AM, Glorb Age wrote:
> Hi NSP,
>
> I'm trying to build a test lab for IOS XR, and I'm having trouble figuring
> out what is the minimum platform and modules I need on a GSR to run the VPLS
> feature.  The Cisco Feature Navigator is no help, since it just tells me
> that I need PRP to run the XR code that has VPLS, but it doesn't go into
> specifics on hardware.  Can anyone point me in the right direction of some
> hardware documentation, or tell me from experience what specifically I need
> to build this?  Since I'm putting this together myself the key issue is the
> cost.
>
> Here's what I've come up with so far, please correct me if I'm wrong:
>
> GSR 12008 Chassis
> PRP-1
> One of these:
> 4GE-SFP-LC - Cisco XR 12000 and 12000 Series 4-Port Gigabit Ethernet ISE
> Line Card
>
> One of these three:
> 4OC3X/POS-LR-LC-B(=) - 4-port OC-3/STM-1 POS line card, LR optics (Engine 3)
> 4OC3X/POS-IR-LC-B(=) - 4-port OC-3/STM-1 POS line card, IR optics (Engine 3)
> 4OC3X/POS-MM-MJ-B(=) - 4-port OC-3/STM-1 POS line card, multimode optics
> (Engine 3)
>
> Can anyone confirm that IOS XR will run on PRP-1, and not just PRP-2?  I'm
> assuming it won't run on the older GRPs.
>
> What is the difference in the chassis other than number of slots and the
> fabric?  Since this is just for testing, I'm trying to find the cheapest
> chassis with the minimum AC power supply requirements.
>
> What does the CSC card do?  Is this needed?
>
>  From what I've read, the GigE ISE card will be the CE facing interface that
> runs VPLS, and the PoS can be the core facing card that just does MPLS.

You're on the right track.  Doc says PRP2 is needed for XR, no idea if
you can get away with PRP1.  Engine3/5 is a necessity for XR, which you
have covered.

GSR requires a minimum of four (CSC+SFC) with a minimum of one CSC (and
a max of two) and a maximum of three SFC.  The SFC is the switch fabric
card.  The CSC is the clock scheduler card (and another SFC).
On a 120xx, each SFC offers OC12 bandwidth per slot; Engine 1/2/3 cards
only run if there are four fabrics.

pt